Thursday 19 March 2009

Making a monkey out of my hanging the washing out!

This morning started with mass and Fr Julian, then we all trooped outside for a celebration of the youngest nun's birthday! The whole shebang of us had flowers (individual ones) and after two of the women sang to her with the traditional refrain of "Happy Birthday" but in Hindi, she was decked out with some garlands and everyone took it in turns to hand her a flower. The ladies who're resident had all dressed up in their finest (Sari's or Sarwal Kameez'), the guys on the other hand were just their usual rag, tag and bobtail selves. It was a nice interlude to the run of the mill cleaning and swilling down, but that was only postponed not cancelled, as that wouldn't do at all.

By the time I got round to helping hang out the blankets on the roof, we were joined by a couple of monkeys who were oblivious to the industry around them. Since they were only about six feet away it was obvious that they weren't fazed in the slightest by the activity (not that the speed of work is earth shattering).

Last night I met with Paul for dinner, and if I'd known he was going to pay I'd have gone easy on the "Long Island Ice Teas", having consumed two before he arrived, still I could have been on the wine list which would really have strained PSN's finances! We didn't argue post the league cup final, and generally left that side of Scottish life alone. It was a good night which I enjoyed, and the Iced Teas made the rickshaw drive home fairly painless when sobriety would have rendered my spine in need of a chiropractor.

Sad to say yet another fatality on the flyover yesterday, words fail me! The blame game has started and the designers saying it's the motorists fault and the public say the opposite! I note they've installed speed bumps on the flyover now in an attempt to curtail the carnage, a bit late in the day if you ask me.

Namaste from your wilting scribe in Delhi.

No comments:

Post a Comment