Wednesday 11 March 2009

Green hair and a purple face!

Today is "Holi" and the whole of India grinds to a halt, in order to celebrate (?) the festival. The CCS staff are having a party round at the HQ in flat 5. I was a bit reticent about going as to be honest I'd rather have gone to Mother Teresa's where they won't be celebrating. The idea is about squirting water over everyone and what I hope now is water based paint powder. The fact is though it was a gas, and we all entered into the spirit of it! The colours are garish yellows, purple, blue, green, red, and any other colour you can think of. I think the object of it is that by colouring everyone you get rid of any ill feeling you may have towards them.

We also had alcohol and snacks which was relatively ground breaking for us, bearing in mind the shenanigans over the bottle of vodka I'd bought earlier for dinner at the Jafa's apartment. I'd thought last night that there had been a shortage of alcohol in the world when I saw the queue outside the off-licence in the market, as it was about 60 long and showed no sign of depleting as they were served only to be joined by others. The guy who bought Gandhi's effects at auction in New York is in liquor for a living, and if the queues are anything to go by it is no wonder he's a billionaire! I really had no idea that Indians consumed so much alcohol with such regularity, jand was taken aback by the rush to get loaded. The other kids in the area came into our party and the whole affair was a riot of colour and a lot of childish fun which appealed despite my reservations.

The colour of my "barnet fair" is fine since I'm green in footballing terms, but the purple kisser makes me look like a beetroot. I feel sure it will come off, but in case it doesn't I'm prepared to have the hair scalped as it'll grow in quick enough but not before I get home, since there is only 16 days till I return to the cold weather! I should add that I'm not counting since it means I'll have to look for a job, and if I earn enough I'll come back next year again but for a month rather than two.

Back to the hospice tomorrow and hopefully to Sagar back from the hospital and feeling better than he was yesterday.

Namaste from Delhi and "Happy Holi, Jai Ho!"

No comments:

Post a Comment