Wednesday 25 March 2009

Just when I thought I'd seen everything, the "Jains" pop up

Shanta and I were having a leisurely drive to Mother Teresa's this morning when we noticed some female members of the sect in all white saris, and we remarked on how they looked crossing the road. That was before we saw the male members (literally) following them. Four of them followed the sisters with not a stitch between them! They did carry staffs or walking sticks but naff all else, not even so much as a loin cloth between them. All of this while crossing the main road in single file. It took my breath away on the shock basis if nothing else, (and I can assure you there was nothing else literally).

The day at MT's flew by as we had mass first thing which always throws the schedule a bit out of kilter, but it was a productive day and I'm left with a bit of an empty feeling as I'll only be there for two more working days, and Sister Maria did say that the men will miss me too as we've all got on well together despite the language barriers. I hesitate to think how I'll feel on Friday when it comes to an end as it has been an emotional journey!

On the road home to the base my roadside barber was quietly waiting for custom so I duly obliged by getting off the transport and crossing the storm drains to sit on my seat supported by two slabs over the actual drain itself. He duly did the business and noted that my finger nails were a bit ragged and offered to give me a manicure to boot. Well in for a penny in for a pound as they say so I agreed thinking he'd the necessary equipment.

How wrong can you be? He pulled out what was in effect half of a hacksaw blade with one end sharpened, this was to be the tool of choice for my first ever manicure. I have to say even I was filled with trepidation, but let him get on with it. The result was not bad at all, if somewhat archaic in implementation, that allied to the shave and a massage came to the princely sum of 100 rupees (about $2), I'm certainly going to miss all this when I return in 4 days. I can't see Gordon or Kate in the Stoney Barbers doing either for that sort of money!

Namaste from Delhi.

1 comment:

  1. So dad, only a few more days to go.... I know we are looking forward to your arrival back here in colder climbs!

    What will you miss the most ? The Barber or will it be your rickshaw ; op Maybe the traffic..

    That said now if you can manage the traffic in Delhi, London should be a breeze

    Love

    Fe
    xx

    ReplyDelete