Sunday 22 February 2009

Sunday is a good day for commercial deals!

Sunday morning and it is a lazy start again, I could get used to this way of life but I suspect someone very close to me might have something to say about it!

Erin and I spent the early part of the afternoon going to the Rashtrapati Bhavan, I'd been there last weekend but she has had so much college work to do she hasn't had much free time so it was fortuitous that I'd done it before as we got the main parts of the government part of the city done in a quick trip. We'd missed lunch so we pigged out on pepperoni pizza and coke when we got back.

Shanta took me to the guy in the market for a sim card with airtel telephone number and I also bought some airtime. This means I can call the UK for as little as 8 rupees a minute (infinitely less than BT), there was a certain amount of paperwork involved but that is to be expected in a country that was ruled by Britain as a colony for 200 years and who've grasped the civil service mentality whilst taking it to a whole new level! This good deal was compounded by my cut-throat shave and a shoe shine (which any sergeant major would have been pleased with!), the grand total of which is still the equivalent of $2. So even this far removed from contracts, I can't resist a good deal and today has been a commercial success.

The tented/tarpaulin village which had set up across the road from my barber has been moved on, I can't help but feel some sadness as where will they have landed up? The young kids who lived there may not know anything different from what they had, but they are humans not animals after all!

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment