Saturday 14 February 2009

Sean, What odds on this happening?

My sight-seeing tour of Delhi starts with the rickshaw ride to the India Gate a 1st World War memorial for less than a dollar. The journey takes about an half hour and although comfortable isn't a word I'd use to describe the ride in a rickshaw, it does the job since it can weave in and out of the traffic like someone (other than John Sargeant) on "Celebrity Come Dancing"!

Next I head to Houmayun's Tomb where out of a Delhi population of almost 14 million, my name is called out as I go through the turnstyle (having paid full whack despite saying in Hindi that I'm Indian), the locals get in for 4% of the cost of foreigners. It's Barbara from Detroit, and she too is doing her own thing this weekend. However, she's staying in hotels and getting pampered too. The odds of meeting someone you know with that size of population must be pretty high.

Next stop on this mini weekend break since Amritsar was cancelled, is the Rhashtrapati Bhavan or parliament buildings and the President's official residence! All of which are down the road from where I'd started (India Gate), but the road is about a couple of Kms long and my knees feel as though they're due to sieze! With a combination of my knees and my stomach thinking my throat has been cut, I decide to call it a day with a portion of meat to be washed down with a large coke (such simple pleasures are all I need just now!)

Another rickshaw back to the area we live in and the driver is trying his hardest to get me into an emporium on the way back. Thanks but no thanks I tell him as I'm totally dog tired and just need to get back to base! He's a nice guy so I give him the 20 rupee tip as opposed his lost commission!

Namaste

1 comment:

  1. Tom-- odds are about 14m to one. Same as me getting a winner at Cheltenham ( which looms nigh )You seem to be enjoying the people and the culture and getting a lot out of your trip. Good to talk to you Wed, traffic seemed a bit intense, reminded me of Banchory. All the best.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete