Wednesday 18 February 2009

A Dandy steps out

Yesterday was pretty mundane, some of us went to the museum in the company of the former head of the Indian Museum, and he was really interesting, as was the exhibits I saw! I didn't see too many as I took a bit of a cold sweat which was slightly disconcerting and had to leave to get some heat into me. When we got back to base I couldn't eat anything and went straight to bed which ended up with 12 hours sleep. It must have done the trick as I was up in time and ready to go this morning with no after-effects.

Class this morning got a wee bit (?) chatty especially when one of them was trying to read from and write on the board. I did an impression of someone who was really angry with this show of disrespect for their class-mate and it seemed to have the desired effect, resulting in a hush which was defeaning in it's silence. That may have been a watershed since I hope not to have to do it too often as I can't do anger at kids too well.

I went back to the tailor's to pick up my new hand made suit and even if I do say so myself (and I do!), I look like the Dog's "*&^4@*&"s it is hard to comprehend that this suit costs the equivalent of two quality shirts in Aberdeen, but that is the cost of things here apparently! Except for mobile phones it would appear. I'd toyed with the idea of buying one of the newer versions and just using my sim card, thinking that since everything else was relatively inexpensive they'd be too! Wrong, it appears that to get a reasonably expensive model you take out a bank loan here, it is the calls which are cheap. Fiendishly clever these phone manufacturers, the calls are cheap but the phone costs you an arm and a leg.

Namaste

1 comment: