Monday 16 February 2009

I'm not old enough to have hairs in my ears

Back at work as it is Monday, Cindy has come back from Rishikesh in the mountains but obviously ate something on the train which makes me think about eating the food which comes with the ticket, as she's got the dreaded "Delhi Belly".

A bit short on students today as there's only 6 of them when there's normally 11, however the 6 who are here are pretty godd in any event and we've set them some harder work.

I noticed a guy on his motorcycle this morning cleaning his toes while doing about 50mph, never mind the safety wear, the idea of cleaning between your toes is gross anyway and to do it while driving a motorbike is madness. But hey hoh this is Delhi and HSE matters don't seem to matter a jot.

We had to do our tasks in front of the rest of the volunteers today, but Laiah and I seemed to be the only ones doing any ad-libbing, the rest reading off of their paper print outs from the web. I couldn't get too excited about the whole thing as it was designed to see if we were taking in the culture, and not an entry thesis for Oxford or Cambridge.

I went to my roadside barber under the tree in the street again, despite some of the staff being concerned about an infection if he cut me inadvertently! He's good at it and although I think they're probably right I decide he's good enough for the Indians so he's good enough for me! He doesn't speak any English at all and my Hindi is limited but we manage to get by in any event. It transpires that some tosser from the Middle East has given him Omani notes which is a bit of a liberty as he won't even have a bank account much less the wherewithal to change them. I offered to buy them from him for 100 rupees inclusive of the shave, but the lack of ability in language put the mockers on that !!

He's giving me better service every time as I'm paying him 30 rupees instead of the 20 he'd normally get, and this prompts him to trim my ears as well as my hooter! I'd no idea that I had any hair in either orifice, but hell he must have seen some. His eyesight is obviously far superior to mine.

A wander round the market is always a hoot and I take a wee dander to see if there are any good offers on sandals, passing the tailors who're making my Nehru suit! Thank god I picked them as I noticed another firm of tailors called, wait for it! "Gaylook" Thanks be to God I didn't stumble in there by mistake! I may be in touch with my feminine side but that is a bridge too far!
Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment