Tuesday 11 August 2009

I needed a kick up the jacksy!

Since my sojourn in Delhi, it has been like a long holiday except the weather here is crap! On the plus side, my bowling has improved (grass not ten pin), but since it is lacking in financial stimulus it was never going to stop the draining of my savings. I'm going to have a wee bitch now, last year I paid almost £20k in tax, this year post Delhi, I rashly thought Her Majesty's tax flunkey's would have deemed it fair play to give some back! How wrong can you be? A derisory offer of £8 per week job-seekers allowance was all that was on offer, oh and by the way you need to travel a round trip of 30 miles each week to get it!
Is it any wonder the people of this country are mightly hacked off when they see MP's milking the system like some sort of Jersey cow with a full udder, and you're offered such a pittance to seek work.
That said I'd been pounding the market myself for anything (including shelf stacking or driving) that would stop the outward flow of funds from the savings I'd been fastidiously putting away over the last couple of years. All to no avail, it seemed that experience was not as valuable a commodity as I'd errantly thought. Is it ageism I asked myself on more than one occasion? A friend suggested lying about my age by about 13 years, a sort of back handed compliment in a way, since he obviously thought I could pass for 50 instead of 63.
I'll never know as the need to fabricate a c.v. minus my time in the RAF wasn't needed, and I'm now back in the land of the wage slaves. There's been other changes in my life which I'll not bother you with, but suffice to say there's now a spring in the step, if only on the basis of being back in gainful employment! This means that with a bit of luck and a fair wind in my sails, I can return to Delhi sometime in the not too distant future.

The old adage of "Whit's fur ye, will no go bye ye" has held good and if fate dictates your course in life then go with the flow as it is pointless trying to pee against the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment